Flood elevation certificates are issues for properties that exist on a flood plain. They are necessary when you are attempting to acquire flood insurance or when your property has been demolished because of recent flood activity and you want to elevate your home above flood water levels. If you think that your property should qualify for flood elevation modifications, you should get a flood elevation certificate. Here are the requirements that need to be met before you can apply for and receive a certificate for your property. 

Property Exists Within a Known Flood Plain

For the most part, flood elevation certificates are issued when you can prove that your home falls within the boundaries of a known flood plain. You will need a surveyor to produce a document attesting to the fact that there are flood boundaries near and/or around your property. The surveyor's report and boundary surveying of the surrounding land is usually proof enough for the government to issue a flood elevation certificate to you. If you do not live in a known flood plain, and/or you cannot prove that you live in a flood plain, you will have to show that substantial flooding in recent years warrants an elevation of your home and the issuance of a flood elevation certificate for your home. 

More Than Three Episodes of Flooding and Flood Damage in the Last Decade

To get a flood certificate without proving that your house is in a flood plain, you have to show that your home was damaged by extreme floods at least three times in the last decade. This stipulation helps those whose homes and property have seen a lot of unusual flood activity but may not be otherwise qualified to get an elevation certificate. Additionally, the more severe the flood damage as of late, the easier it will be to get the certificate and hire a construction contractor to begin the repairs and elevation process. 

Pronunciation of a Natural Disaster Relief Zone by the State Government

If you lived in an area most of your life without incident, but then your area gets battered by one of the worst natural disasters on record, your state governor may declare that this part of your home state is a natural disaster zone, and it would qualify for natural disaster relief. If that applies to you, you may qualify under this disaster declaration for a flood elevation certificate. You would still have to prove the amount of flooding and damage where you live, which should not be too hard even a month after the flood waters recede and reveal that the foundation of your home is under water.